In an ongoing effort to bring wider awareness and participation to the Seattle’s Poet Populist program we’ve made the following updates:
- New election calendar: The election will now run September 15 through November 4.
- New inclusiveness for students: the new schedule will allow students and schools to participate to a greater degree.
- Curriculum development: We are developing a curriculum for high schools that will examine democracy and the arts, and provide opportunities for candidates to visit schools. This effort is supported by Seattle Arts & Lectures and the Seattle Public Schools.
- Improved web site: More dynamic features (live voting updates, audio and video embedding, candidate’s toolkit) will enhance the voter experience and improve the public presentation of candidates and participating organizations.
- Fiscal sponsorship: The program is newly a project of the non-profit Shunpike, which serves as a fiscal sponsor.
- Final event: The four finalists with the highest vote totals will be invited to read at the Richard Hugo House on November 14, where the winner will be announced and awarded a cash prize of $500.